• People’s Artist of the USSR (1969)
• People’s Artist of the RSFSR (1951)
• People’s Artist of the Kazakh SSR (1958)
• Recipient of the Stalin Prize (1943, 1946)
• Recipient of the Order of the October Revolution (1976)
• Recipient of the Order of Labour of the Red Flag (1937)
• Recipient of the Order of the Badge of Merit
In 1926 he graduated from the Leningrad School of Dance (class of Vladimir Ponomarev), in 1932 he graduated from the stage directing department of the Leningrad Technical College of Stage Arts (class of Sergei Radlov) and in 1948 he graduated from the stage directing faculty of the Leningrad Theatre Institute (class of Professor Boris Zon).
From 1926–1929 he was a soloist with ballet companies in Khabarovsk and Kiev. From 1934–1936 he was a ballet-master at the Kirov Theatre of Opera and Ballet, from 1936–1956 he was a ballet-master and opera director at the Bolshoi Theatre and from 1936–1939 he was Director of the Bolshoi Ballet. He staged productions at theatres in Saratov, Kazan, Prague, Belgrade and Zagreb.
From 1945–1947 he was General and Artistic Director of the Moscow School of Dance. From Wrote articles and books about the art of the ballet-master.
At the Kirov Theatre he staged the ballets The Fountain of Bakhchisarai (1934) and Lost Illusions (1936) by Boris Asafiev, The Bronze Horseman and The Red Poppy by Reinhold Glière (1949), “The Rossia” Came into Port by Vasily Solovyov-Sedoy (1964) and dances in the opera Les Huguenots by Giacomo Meyerbeer (1935).