Mariinsky Theatre Guest Soloist
• Prize-winner at the 2nd New Opera Talent International Competition (Rieti, Italy, 2021; 1st prize)
• Prize-winner at the 7th International Competition of Opera Singers St Petersburg (2015; 2nd prize)
• Finalist and diploma recipient at the 2nd All-Russian Music Competition (Moscow, 2014)
• Finalist and diploma recipient at the 7th International Voice Competition Magda Olivero (Milan, 2013)
• Prize-winner at the 17th Moscow International Competition of Young Performers of Russian Romance Romansiada (2013; Grand Prix)
• Prize-winner at the 13th International Music Competition Pietro Argento (Gioia del Colle, Italy, 2010; 3rd prize)
• Prize-winner at the 6th Silver Voice Moscow International Open Festival of Classical Solo Singing (2009; 2nd prize)
• Prize-winner at the 7th Moscow Open Children and Youth Festival of Classical Solo Singing Dedicated to Fyodor Chaliapin (2009; 2nd prize)
Pelageya Kurennaya was born in Rostov Region. In 2016 she graduated with distinction from the Rimsky-Korsakov St Petersburg State Conservatory (class of Tamara Novichenko).
At the Opera and Ballet Theatre of the St Petersburg Conservatory she appeared as Belinda (Dido and Aeneas), Brigitta (Iolanta), Susanna and Barbarina (Le nozze di Figaro), Rosina (Rossini’s Il barbiere di Siviglia) and Marfa (The Tsar’s Bride).
In 2014 she appeared as Prilepa in the concert performance of The Queen of Spades directed by Mariss Jansons at the Gasteig Munich as well as at the Philharmonie Luxembourg. A year later she participated in Valery Gergiev’s MPHIL 360° festival in Munich, performing Tanja–Katja by Rodion Shchedrin with the Mariinsky Orchestra.
In May 2015 Pelageya made her Mariinsky Theatre debut, appearing as Masha at the premiere of a new production of The Queen of Spades. In the 2015–16 season she performed the main role (Zamarashka) at the world premiere of A Christmas Tale by Rodion Shchedrin at the Mariinsky Theatre and the part of Prilepa at the premiere of The Queen of Spades staged by Stefan Herheim at the Dutch National Opera in Amsterdam.
In 2018 she has sung at the world premiere of Alexander Raskatov’s opera Eclipse at the Mariinsky Theatre.
Took part in the Czech premiere (2019) and the Mariinsky Theatre premiere (2020) of Rodion Shchedrin’s opera Lolita, in which she performed title role. Has appeared at the Bolshoi Theatre of Russia and the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall in Moscow, the Grand Hall of the Moscow Conservatory, the National Theatre in Prague, St Louis’ Powell Hall, the Helsinki Music Centre, the Rossini Opera Festival in Pesaro (Italy) and the Septembre Musical Montreux–Vevey festival in Switzerland.
Repertoire at the Mariinsky Theatre:
The Princess Unearthly-Beauty (Kashchey the Immortal)
Prilepa and Masha (The Queen of Spades)
A Hay-Cutting Girl (The Tsar’s Bride)
A Daring Skomorokh (Sadko)
Princess Urusova (Boyarina Morozova)
Zamarashka (A Christmas Tale)
The Flea (The Lefthander)
Lauretta (Betrothal in a Monastery)
Dunyasha (War and Peace)
Second Nun (The Fiery Angel)
Katya (Eclipse, concert performance)
Barbarina (Le nozze di Figaro)
Countess Ceprano (Rigoletto)
Mlle Jouvenot (Adriana Lecouvreur)
Flora (The Turn of the Screw)
A Fairy (ballet A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
Repertoire also includes: Corinna and Delia (Il viaggio a Reims), Despina (Così fan tutte), the soprano roles in Beethoven’s Egmont, Mahler’s Fourth Symphony, Rachmaninoff’s The Bells, Bruckner’s Te Deum and Psalm 150, Glière’s Concerto for Coloratura Soprano and Orchestra.
Information for May 2022